Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <rossicaio@h...>
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  7:49 am
Subject:  HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions needed

Hi,

I agree with Mike on the need to define exactly what "head voice" is before
anything can be said. Also, stemming from a "communication problem" that has
been brought into question before, there isn't a consensus definition of
what "rock" is ( therefore, we can't say we agree on who can be used as an
example of head voice or falsetto production in rock singing). I wouldn't
consider David Bowie a rock singer, for example.

MOREOVER, as anyone who's into any kind of rock here must have noticed,
there's a BIG difference in vocal production when time ( from the 50's to
the 90's ) and space ( different and frequently co-existing styles: rock'n
roll, pop, 70's rock, hard rock, heavy metal, prog rock, prog metal ) are
considered.

As most people here are not much willing to decipher the specificities of
each style and periods ( neither am I ), I think it's better to opt for the
simplest solution: taking for granted that this "rock" "umbrella category"
makes sense, what's important is to find a voice/voices that are probably in
this "limbo" category and have the experts around categorize each of them
according to their own parameters, and then discuss how valid they are.

Ok?? Assuming you're willing to play this game, here's a list of links where
you can download songs or bits of them by bands any sentient being would
classify as rock and whose vocalists are most likely within that limbo:

Angra: http://www.angra.net/sounds/Heroes_of_Sand.mp3 ( new vocalist: more
"baritonal" )

Angra: http://www.angra.net/sounds/time.mp3 ( former vocalist: really
"tenorial" )

Stratovarius: http://www.stratovarius.com/index.php?section4=disc ( try not
to choose an instrumental track )

Dream Theater:
http://www.dreamtheater.com.br/audio/Uncovered/Disc1_03_Red%20Hill%20Mining%
20Town.mp3 ( live bootleg )

Got tired of looking, but if someone can link or upload to the list website
sound clips from bands like "old" Skid Row ( I've found
www.sebastianbach.com but his webdesigner's- or the five-year-old child who
did it- job pissed me off ), old Journey and Queensryche ( other
suggestions? ), please do it.

Best wishes,

Caio

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18370 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededDenis J. Lanza   Sun  3/31/2002
18371 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededDenis J. Lanza   Sun  3/31/2002
18375 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededCaio Rossi   Sun  3/31/2002
18376 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededGreypins@a...   Sun  3/31/2002
18378 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededSally Collyer   Mon  4/1/2002
18381 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededReg Boyle   Mon  4/1/2002
18387 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededLloyd W. Hanson   Mon  4/1/2002
18379 Re: HEAD VOICE AND ROCK=> definitions neededGreypins@a...   Mon  4/1/2002

emusic.com