Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  8:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

lloyd,

thanks for your response. i am a bit confused for a variety of
reasons. in your article that dean pointed us all to, you seemed to
indicate that, while in falsetto, any introduction of the thyro-arytenoids
turns the voice from falsetto to 'head' voice. in your post on the current
topic, you speak of 'head' voice as that which is exemplified by all of the
best operatic male singers. not being stupid enough to ask 'well, which is
it?', i am wondering if you make a distinction between that which is just
'legally' head voice and that which is definitively head voice. while i'm
not sure what to call that which stevie wonder, mccartney, etc. use for their
high notes, i certainly recognize the difference between what they do and
what franco corelli did. the difference is beyond distinct.

i'm not sure i agree that there is much use of a reinforced falsetto
beyond its use in metal bands. to me, what a lot of these singers are doing
(i'm speaking of mccartney, wonder, eric carmen, sting, etc) is more similar
to fischer-dieskau's treatment of his high range (the same treatment is
evident in the singing of andreas schmidt). i'm guessing this would be
described as 'voce finta' by miller. in all of these singers, including
dieskau and schmidt, i hear their upper range as an extension of their
'chest' voice rather than some kind of anchored falsetto. it is similar to
what bing crosby, dean martin and the young sinatra all used to do, as well.

concerning the use of 'reinforced' falsetto, it is my opinion that
this is what counter-tenors and female classical singer use. i have posted
(in the file section of vocalist- temp. at yahoo groups) a bitmap of a sample
of a male singing in reinforced falsetto and a female singing in her less
than enthusiatic (dragged off the couch), classically trained head voice.
the male reading is the lower sample.

as a teacher of non classical singers, my biggest frustration comes
from not having the same type of information that is available to the teacher
of classical singers. so, perhaps my question really should have been 'if
they (mccartney, wonder, etc) aren't singing in head voice for their high
notes, what are they doing?'

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18377 Re: how do you define 'head voice'?Reg Boyle   Sun  3/31/2002

emusic.com