Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Denis J. Lanza" <voxman@s...>
Date:  Sun Mar 31, 2002  3:22 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] how do you define 'head voice'?

Hello My Esteemed Colleagues:
Although I am FAR from the most educated, experienced and informed singer
on the list, I would still like to post an answer that actually contains a
question. LOL!
Ok, I myself have a high tenor facility. Just to clarify, my teacher had
an internationally successful opera career, has a Masters Degree from
Julliard, studied with Seth Riggs directly for 5 years and is a certified
Speech Level Singing Instructor. Thus she does NOT allow me to sing in any
way that could potentially harm my voice including singing with a high
larynx, spreading my vowels, using air blast (too much subglottal
pressure??) and other no nos. So we regularly vocalize up to the C two
octaves above Middle C. Now I can sing all of my high notes in two "modes"
and I have had to do this on several occasions when people didn't believe me
that I wasn't singing in a reinforced falsetto but in a full, connected head
voice all the way up. I can sing how I normally sing all the way up form my
lowest note in chest, no break or disconnection in a full, supported voice.
I can also purposely disconnect into a falsetto function which is not very
usable in my opinion. So I am assuming the former is my head voice and the
latter my falsetto. I do NOT belt chest at all! My primo passagio starts at
around an E or F above Middle C. I m a rock/metal singer BTW. I also do
musical theatre like Phantom, Les Mis, J.C. Superstar, Jekkyl & Hyde, etc.
Not the nasal brassy style of musical theatre. Yuk! ;)
So I suppose my definition of head voice is a voice that extends upward
but never disconnects form the bottom or the low support. I don't know...

Yours In Music,
Denis J. Lanza
Vocalist