Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Sat Mar 30, 2002  7:53 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] bone conduction and me singing jazz

Is THAT a result
of my bones messing with what I perceive and what
is actually coming out of my head? And if so, how
might I go about correcting it? >>>>

Hi Trevor
Well, I'm going to try to respond but I am apologizing ahead of time for
not being able to write in correct pedogological terms. I hope
Randy/Lloyd will follow me with corrections and addendums!

I think it could be that bone conduction makes you think you are getting
a certain type of sound when you're really not. I've had this problem
and was out of mind with frustration because I would constantly sing
under pitch. The nerve is dead in my left ear (since age 4) so you can
imagine how much I REALLY depended on listening to the vibration of my
skull to pick up sounds on my left side. However, I've learned to
adjust, finally... I sing jazz/pop styling as well as being able to
sing with classical resonance. The way to correct is to get wayyyy into
your body. To shift the resonance so you sound like a "jazz" singer is
to make subtle shift into feeling tension, breath pressure, like you're
going to burst out crying or laughing right in the gut, and all around
the belly perimeter of your torso. You can't go by listening inside
your head... I listen intensely to what I'm sounding like through the
monitor speaker and totally and completely relax my jaw (which I should
do anyway) and I am centered completely in my gut, pelvis... you gotta
feel nasty to sing in tune ...
Now, I turn it over to those who can make all that sound like science!
Deanna

---

emusic.com