Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Mon May 22, 2000  11:47 am
Subject:  Hurting support muscels was: 1st recital, longish etc.

Dear Ian and list,
--- Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...> wrote:
(...) snip
> It's entirely possible that you're support muscles
were tender
> because this being your first recital you were
> obviously working hard. It's possible to build up
> tenseness in this region and bingo, before you know
> it
> you're feeling it! I would be interested to know
> what
> sort of 'hurt' you felt. Was it like being punched,
> or like having done lots of sit ups when you're out
> of
> practise?
First of all: sorry for not answering sooner, but I
had some computer hardware problems. To answer your
question: It was the second actually: like having done
lots of sit ups when you're out of practise. I did
sing through the whole program before and did not have
it. One difference: I sang in one particular song for
36 seconds comletely pianissimo: that was much tougher
than when practising, I remember. But I only practised
it twice, it was change of interpretation from two
days before the concert. Could this be more tiring in
a bigger place? The notes were quite low for me (it
starts with the lowest tenor c). Or was I just to
tense to sing a relaxed pianonissimo?. The audience
loved it and you could hear it well on the backrows,
so I think I did it technically ok. This was also the
last song before the pause.

Thanks a lot,
best greetings,

Dre