Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Wed Mar 27, 2002  2:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Voice produced in chest not larynx!!!!

Dear Robyn:
I wasn't going to say a thing regarding your message but I thought about it and
realized that sometimes it isn't a bad thing to state the obvious. Clearly the
obvious _isn't_ to the misguided and uneducated parent.

A voice pedagogy seminar is a good thing but will the right people attend and be
educated? Because this problem includes medical issues please consider having a
laryngologist speak regarding issues surrounding health and the voice.

My comments:
The parent is the problem, not the choral director. The woman has no clear
grasp of "cause and effect." She perceives all this as cause and effect but
what I see is the following:

Regarding the asthma - A cold triggered an asthma attack. The poor child has
been treated with homeopathic compounds which, by definition, contain no active
ingredients. A homepathic treatment is distilled water and placebo effect.
Neither of these will treat asthma. Her child's asthma wasn't treated until
this incident required the care of an MD. This is a blessing in disguise.
Folks with untreated or undertreated asthma die by the thousands each year.

Regarding the musculo-skeletal chest problems - People with colds and
exacerbated asthma cough, sometimes spasmodically. Internal intercostal muscles
are required to work with great force when coughing as one does with exacerbated
asthma. Muscle soreness and results from overuse.

Regarding chest/larynx voice production - The woman hasn't a clue as to what the
larynx does and doesn't do.

Regarding lyric vs. 2nd. soprano - Again - clueless. Most women are some sort
of soprano. She may not realize the overlap in range of all female voices or
the need to sing throughout one's range. She probably doesn't know that male
and female singers have notes in common.

OK, it's out of my system. I'm sorry that you and the choral director have to
deal with this. It would never happen to a math teacher.
Cindy Donnell

SNIPPED message
On the recent...choir camp you (conductor) forced her...to sing as a second
soprano which made her have to sing from her chest and not her larynx.
...picked up a cold ...forced to sing in a lower register ...exacerbated into a
full stage medical problem. She now has skeleto-muscular damage to her rib cage.
... exacerbated her latent asthma which has always been controlled with
homeopathic remedies and desensitasition drops. ...has to have a Ventolin
inhaler because of the damage that has been done to her lungs.
Becuase of forcing her to sing in this lower register, I have today incurred a
medical bill...and a chemist bill of....
I request that your re-instastate her as a first soprano....
Robyn Edgar

emusic.com