Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Mon Mar 25, 2002  7:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musical Theatre..

Let's see.... If you're talking about opera vs. "Man of La Mancha," not
much. The Don Quixote in my "Man of La Mancha" was a gorgeous (vocally AND
physically!) lyric baritone. Sancho Panza is a character tenor. Aldonza is
a belt role, but an opera singer who knows what she's doing can manage it.
(Heard it with my own two ears.)

As far as the dramatic structure, the main difference would be the quantity
of spoken dialogue and a greater emphasis on the "theater" aspects (i.e.
acting) vs. music. Not that acting doesn't count in opera!

"Rent" is another kettle of fish entirely. I haven't seen it and won't
comment on it.

Liz (who is going straight from "Die Fledermaus" to "Aspects of Love" to "Le
Nozze de Figaro")

Elizabeth Finkler
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo