Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 24, 2002  9:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Musical Theater

In a message dated 3/24/2002 2:44:36 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> COMMENT: All that you say above I could also say of music theatre
> programs in which the voice teachers are not trained in classical
> singing techniques but only in singing styles and production results
> required by the American musical theatre. It is not uncommon for
> music theatre voice teachers to have little or no basic vocal
> technique approaches but only a concern with the end product
> regardless of how that is to be achieved. In fact, I would go so far
> as to say that in my experience it is rare to find someone who is an
> expert in music theatre who has even a mild idea of how the voice
> should be taught technique.

No one is saying to ignore technique. However, the technique studied has to
be a technique that lends itself to the genre, and the low mix most classical
teachers teach does not. To build the voice that way will knock most females
right out of the box in musical theater. However, I do think we may be in
agreement on this, but for different reasons, many musical theater programs
are very lacking when it comes to singing technique. Either, because it is
either inappropriate for the material or is ignorant in its approach toward
the singing mechanism.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18236 Re: Musical TheaterLloyd W. Hanson   Sun  3/24/2002
18241 bone conduction & studentsEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Mon  3/25/2002

emusic.com