Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sat Mar 23, 2002  3:15 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] to Lea Ann, connecting threads..

The pain I felt after
> those early lessons was likely the result of relaxing some muscles
> when I sang, and using others in new ways. At any rate, it was
> temporary, and my voice developed into something that, apparently,
> people were willing to pay for (surprised the heck outta me when I got
> my first paid comprimario role in an opera).

Hi....well hmm, I don't know what to think..the pain I am feeling doesn't
feel muscle related...it feels like a sore throat...I sing and then it even
hurts when I swallow. I know what people mean when they mention throat
tension...it makes me think of muscle builders and those tense cords on the
side of their neck.....what ever is sore...feels sore inside my throat at
voice box level. It hasn't always been this way....I had the flu for a
couple of weeks a month ago....I was getting much much better, and had had a
sore throat with the flu...I was feeling pretty okay but still had a stuffed
up nose...I went to my very last lesson which was the first sat of
March....I told her I had been ill but I was almost well, I said I could not
sing because I sounded awful...she insisted I sing anyway. She gave me
three new pieces each with an A below high C...(I am a mezzo by the way) I
brought hem home and practiced them...then I had a sore throat....and I
still do. I do not feel "ill" at all....I just have a sore throat when I
sing...and sometimes in the morning..but it goes away with a glass of water
or something cold....until I sing again. I have no idea at this point what
has happened.

Thanks for you help! If you have any ideas let me know... :)

Lea Ann

emusic.com