Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  8:39 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO IN HEAD VOICE MODE

In a message dated 3/22/2002 1:40:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bjjocelyn@p... writes:

> Lloyd, you clearly drew the line between the falsetto tone and the full
> voice tone (chest+head)
>
> But Mike again you admitted that your head voice feels like a "yawned"
> upper
> extension of your chest voice, which means you also regard falsetto and
> full
> voice as two different things.

bart,

yes, i regard falsetto as seperate from full voice. although i can
go from one to the other, the use of my voice when doing so, always feels
somewhat unstable as if, one of the parts had been put in wrong.

i understand, generally, what happens when one makes a transition from
chest voice to head voice and, i also know what it is like to just shove
chest voice up higher and higher and, i consider those two sensations as
being different from one another. but, in both cases, it still feels like
the same voice as opposed to falsetto which feels like the engine fell out of
the car.

also, i make a distinction between the action of the vocal folds and
the treatment of the resonator. while the two are clearly linked, where it
is very likely a change in one will determine the nature of the other, i find
it hard to believe that this is always a one to one relationship.

> Exploring falsetto-linked sensations may have helped you come to grips with
> the discovery of your higher range, yet some tenors argue the pedagogical
> validity of this : I'm not entering this much debated fray here.

not really, wondering why i could yawn higher than i could sing was
what did it.

mike

emusic.com