Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  4:25 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] to Lea Ann, connecting threads..

<<<do you think it's possible to push a chest voice up to
an a flat below high C? That has become the question of the week for
me.
It is probably the answer to why my throat is hurting.>>>

No, I don’t think you’re pushing chest voice up. It’s impossible to
advise correctly without hearing you, but I’m thinking you are flexing
muscles in your throat and around your larynx while you are singing in
your head voice. Chest voice singing isn’t the only place singers flex
throat muscles! Your teacher (current or new) needs to observe how you
are using your body when you sing and what you are doing with jaw,
throat, tounge and larynx muscles when you are singing and then help you
learn how to relax those muscles so they don’t get in the way of your
vocal cord action and cause sore throats. I’m meaning the kind of
“soreness” singers complain of when they sing through a lesson or
practice with lots of neck tension.

And beyond and before all that, the teacher needs to focus on how you
are using breath pressure to sing.. Generally neck tension is a result
of not enough breath pressure to support the pitch/resonance.. the brain
says “hey, there isn’t enough pressure! Let’s flex the neck muscles!!
Lea Ann subconsciously thinks that’s how to power it up.. let’s flex!!”
(our brain has a mind of it’s own.. (joke)…

Lea ann wrote:<<<I hope I didn't offend you with my earlier posts. That
was not my intention
at all. :)>>> No.. I wasn’t offended.. but I was a little embarrassed
when I FIRST read the post “I wouldn’t pay someone with just a B.A.”…
then realized you weren’t directing it at me … but I didn’t forget about
it, obviously… I still feel self conscious about my resume’, I guess.

Deanna

---

emusic.com