Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 22, 2002  3:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Argh another problem

In a message dated 03/22/2002 8:00:28 AM Central Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

<< I thought she was a good teacher actually, but she is 24 years old has
less than 5 students and probably not a lot of experience with dealing with
students....perhaps you could give ME a break here. >>

And she probably IS a good teacher going through a rough time. This isn't
all about you or even the rest of her students right now. Maybe there's a
crisis and one she's not willing to share the details of with everyone
(terrible grammar, but hey, it's morning). She doesn't have to. She should
be keeping you aware of what is going on with the recital - frankly, she
should just cancel the recital, but she hasn't come to that decision yet.
But she doesn't have to tell you if she has an abruption of the placenta or
any other complications (I've been watching ER, can you tell?). All you have
to know right now is that due to circumstances beyond her control, lessons
are on hold. You can be patient and deal with that, or you can switch
teachers. Although there only seem to be two in the area and price range
that's acceptable to you.

What I'm saying is that just a few short months ago, you were complaining
about your previous teacher as both a technician and for her lack of interest
in you. And based on what you said (and the fact that she didn't know who
Renee Fleming was, in my mind), you seemed to have a point. Then you
switched teachers, and suddenly this one embodied the characteristics of
Mother Teresa and Richard Miller until she dared to have a life - not only of
her own but within her as well. Your sudden turnaround over something as
trivial as her not returning your calls during a time of personal crisis
(hers, not yours -- you can lay off singing for a few weeks, she still has
the baby to carry) makes me wonder how bad the first teacher was. And how
bad the next teacher will be, when she somehow manages to offend you.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com