Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zurcher" <AZurcher@i...>
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  3:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO IN HEAD VOICE MODE

Sharon Szymanski wrote :

<< I have them start fairly high in
falsetto, then do descending exercises down, encouraging them to "break"
through into regular voice when it feels appropriate, and allowing the
voice to "crack" if it needs to. Often, on the way down, they
eventually start to find another option, i.e., the head voice or high
register.>>

Funny! I have just sent a message with the same exercise! :-)

(With the possible difference that in my experience, the "head voice"
doesn't appear on the way down but rather on the first note after moving the
passaggio higher and higher till the whole scale is in "full voice" - since
this full voice cannot be pure chest and has been influenced by the falsetto
onset, it is now proper "head voice". I start this exercise exactly on the
second passaggio and then I move the whole exercise one semi-tone higher
etc. Each scale is then begun in falsetto, for example with 4 falsetto + 4
chest, then 3+5 then etc. till it is 0+8.)