Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zurcher" <AZurcher@i...>
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  3:00 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO IN HEAD VOICE MODE

David Grogan wrote :

<< Do you ever see the possibility of using falsetto to help a person find
their head voice? For instance, if a singer cannot find their head voice
because they are using the TA too high, and do not know how to relax it when
singing. Wouldn't singing in falsetto relax the TA, and stretch the vocal
cords, just like head voice, but without the medial compression? >>

This is exactly how I use it. Falsetto helps to open the pharynx in a
relaxed way, to somehow "lift" the soft palate, to feel some useful "head"
sensations, to feel the larynx in a relaxed position...
Some male students seem to be stuck in a TA-only mode, as if they sang in a
"raw chest" voice that not only hinders the high notes but also make the
medium range somewhat "dull". Thi is often the case with pop singers whose
ear was never cultivated by bel canto sounds.
I frequently make them do descending scales from falsetto into chest, on
different vowels (beginning with the easiest, [u], ending with the most
difficult, [a]). When they can do it properly, I make them move the
passaggio higher by a semi-tone each time.
By doing so, I tell them that it is as if, while singing the last note, one
octava below the first note, this last (low) note kept the same intensity of
the first (high) note, but as a first harmonic instead of as the
fundamental.
Recently, I have experienced with a spectrogram and discovered that this
"image" of mine was the exact truth : for example, when moving from G at 490
Hz in falsetto to G at 195 Hz in chest, there is no loss of intensity in the
490 Hz harmonic!

| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
| L'Atelier du Chanteur
| http://chanteur.net

18161 Re: FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  3/21/2002

emusic.com