Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sharon Szymanski" <szy@n...>
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  5:48 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO IN HEAD VOICE MODE

Do you ever see the possibility of using falsetto to help a person find
their head voice? For instance, if a singer cannot find their head
voice
because they are using the TA too high, and do not know how to relax it
when
singing. Wouldn't singing in falsetto relax the TA, and stretch the
vocal
cords, just like head voice, but without the medial compression? Just
wondering out loud here...

David Grogan
Marshall, Texas

My experience teaching male singers who have limited experience of the
high register leads me to believe that this can be an effective bridge
for some. I always clearly explain that this is not the same as head
voice, explaining the way falsetto works, but then suggest that some of
the sensations and experiences found in falsetto might be helpful in
finding the head register. Since there is often a tendency to "push"
the lower register, and the use of the TA higher, taking the student
away from the low register seems to be helpful in introducing the
possibility of another option. I have them start fairly high in
falsetto, then do descending exercises down, encouraging them to "break"
through into regular voice when it feels appropriate, and allowing the
voice to "crack" if it needs to. Often, on the way down, they
eventually start to find another option, i.e., the head voice or high
register.

Sharon Szymanski

The Szymanski Studio -"encouraging excellence in the vocal arts"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18159 Re: FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO EdgewoodVoiceStudio   Thu  3/21/2002

emusic.com