Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  2:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] titze on the raised or lowered larynx

In a message dated 3/21/2002 2:37:34 AM Central Standard Time,
Greypins@a... writes:

> could it be that the advent of much larger opera houses in the west has
> brought about a neccesity to use a lowered larynx to survive?)

Yes, that is exactly why this has occurred in my opinion. It has been the
number one killer of many voices also. From my experience, most voices
cannot handle the depressed larynx most wannabe opera singers try to employ.
The sound is too dark, very contrived, shorts the top and leads to a wobble.
However, for the literature they want to sing and the venues they dream of
singing at, they need to employ this strategy to be heard.

The people who can endure this technique are freaks in a sense. Titze wrote
an article about the big voice in NATS JOS about the big voice and said the
big voice has some anatomical differences; stronger than average TA muscles
and a thicker muscosal cover on the folds which acts as a shock absorber.
These people can take the heaviness of that method ... the vast majority of
us can't. I know I can't, and I tried to sing like that for 4-5 years in
college. It nearly killed my voice. A neutral position is much easier on
the voice.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com