Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 21, 2002  9:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO IN HEAD VOICE MODE

In a message dated 3/20/2002 11:41:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> As regards the balance of your most interesting note I would have to
> say that our own experiences are not, for purposes of teaching, a
> reliable source of information. Each of us finds our voices in our
> own individual way. Some of these "ways" may have some similarity
> but even these likenesses are not conducive to helping others except
> in very special circumstances or unusual match-up situations.

no argument here, lloyd.

> It is for this reason that I prefer to have a better understanding of
> the actual function of the vocal mechanism and draw teaching
> conclusions from this information. Although the teaching of voice
> may be primarily subjective the information on which it is based
> should be, in my opinion, as objective as it is possible to make it.

while i have no argument with this statement, i have to question
whether or not it is possible to put into practice. with so little feel for
the most crucial muscles at work in the larynx, i believe it is a daunting
task to relate function to execution for the sake of developing a new skill.
instead, i prefer to take things a student can already do with their voice
(which are usually things that are not, at first, associated with singing)
and alter these actions until they are usable in singing.

we know many teachers and singers will relate everyday sounds to
singing (yawning, door squeaks, etc.). what i haven't seen, on the part of
voice scientists, is a study of these ordinary, everyday sounds as they
relate to singing. with this type of information, i believe it would be far
easier to implement objective knowledge in the teaching of voice.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18160 Re: FALSETTO IN CHEST VOICE MODE VERSUS FALSETTO Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  3/21/2002

emusic.com