Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Wed Mar 20, 2002  3:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Learning disabilities & singers -- Upcoming article for CS

>I hope you won't mind that I sent this to the whole list, as there is a
>high chance that all of currently teach an ADD/ADHD individual. As I was
>diagnosed years ago as ADHD, I feel I have some insight into how many of
>us approach vocal study.
>
>First, let me touch on a few characteristics common to many ADD/ADHD
>individuals that I think affect singers in particular:
>
> 1. easily distracted
> 2. excessive fidgeting, both physical and mental
> 3. impulsivity and/or obsessive/compulsive behavior
> 4. irritability
> 5. easily frustrated
> 6. negativity
>
>ADD/ADHD students (herewith referred to as ADDs) . . .

ADD and ADHD have been differentiated by the medical community. They have
not been the same thing in some years.

ADD kids are:
low energy
unable to sustain attention
minimally reactive

ADHD kids are:
high energy
hyper reactive
unable to maintain interest in a single subject for more than a few minutes
better in the morning than in the evening
better with men than women
better in novel situations than in the familiar
require constant reinforcement for sustaining focus and good behavior
are most often boys

Some educators dealing with these kids wear a timer that goes off at
regular intervals. When it sounds, they praise the child with ADHD for
their good attention/behavior.

Indeed, a challenge for your vocal studio.

Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com