Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Tue Mar 19, 2002  11:14 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Learning disabilities & singers -- Upcoming article for CS

Dear Chris,

I hope you won't mind that I sent this to the whole list, as there is a
high chance that all of currently teach an ADD/ADHD individual. As I was
diagnosed years ago as ADHD, I feel I have some insight into how many of
us approach vocal study.

First, let me touch on a few characteristics common to many ADD/ADHD
individuals that I think affect singers in particular:

1. easily distracted
2. excessive fidgeting, both physical and mental
3. impulsivity and/or obsessive/compulsive behavior
4. irritability
5. easily frustrated
6. negativity

ADD/ADHD students (herewith referred to as ADDs) are easily distracted
when they are singing - not only by visual stimuli but also by vocal ones.
Their attention spans can be quite short unless it is a subject that
totally envelops them. This can manifest itself in several ways in the
vocal studio: the student constantly has new material to work on, rather
than truly mastering the old material; the student has lost concentration
due to outside stimuli (the next student walks into the room, the teacher
looks out the window, a member of the audience whispers to their neighbor);
the student repeatedly makes careless mistakes; and, most importantly, the
student has a tendency to stop singing every time they make a 'mistake'.

ADDs can often be unable to stand still while singing, including placing
their hands and feet in a multitude of positions or worse, knowing
fidgeting can be considered awkward on stage, hold themselves extremely
still (read: rigid). The ADD student can also mentally fidget, jumping
from one inner thought to another in rapid succession.

Often blurting out whatever is on their mind, completing the teacher's
thoughts during instruction, or responding to instruction with unrelated
comments, ADDs can exhibit a frustrating lack of impulse control (these
students often appear immature to the teacher.)

ADDs can be irritable, often with themselves with they don't sing
perfectly or can't accomplish a task on the first attempt. Sometimes this
irritability can be directed toward the instructor or the accompanist.
This behavior is directly related to the ADD's easy frustration and
negativity with their own singing.

Above all, it is most important when you have a student you think might be
ADD/ADHD to refer the student to someone who is qualified to make a proper
diagnosis.

In learning about my own learning style and in observing students of my
own, I have found a number of things to be important when approaching the
teaching of singing with these individuals:

1. Find a way to erect 'blinders' in your studio, be it drapes,
miniblinds or simply a sheet of paper put up over the window in your studio
door. Encourage the student to provide this type of environment for their own
private practice.

2. Maintain eye contact during instruction and possibly even during the
singing portion of the lesson. I have a gesture I use every times I feel
the student's mind is wandering: using my index and middle fingers shaped
in a 'V', I place them over the bridge of my nose, with one pointing
towards each of my eyes. Eye contact is very important to these students;
it bring them back to earth from wherever they have mentally wandered.

3. Be consistent, clear and concise with instruction. Simplify, simplify,
simplify. Make sure the student comprehends your instructions (have them
repeat them back to you - again bringing them back to earth.) It may even
be necessary to instruct them in an uninflected tone of voice.

4. Insist they keep a day planner: have them schedule everything,
including practice, with detailed info on what, how, and why. Make sure
you look at this planner regularly - ADDs can be terrible procrastinators,
especially with mundane tasks.

5. If you are a demanding teacher, know that just a little criticism offered
to an ADD student can be equal to a screaming match with an ordinary
student. Remember, ADDs are easily frustrated and often have poor
self-images. Avoid ridicule (I know I have to say that, JP). Emphasize
verbal compliments and be encouraging. Teach the student to be
self-encouraging. I often make my ADDs repeat a compliment outloud until
I feel they 'get' it. Positive image building is very, very important
with the students. De-emphasize the peer-competitive part of singing -
employ the "competition with yourself" mode of thinking.

If you want to consult a few sources, I would recommend the following
items (especially the Hartmann - this guy is brilliant with his
out-of-the-box thinking):

Hallowell, Edward M. and Ratey, John J. Driven to Distraction:
Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood
through Adulthood. Tappan, NJ: Simon & Schuster, 1994.

Hartmann, Thom. Attention Deficit Disorder: A Different Perception.
Novato, CA: Underwood-Miller, 1993.

Robelia, Beth. Tips for working with ADHD students of all ages. Journal
of Experiential Education, 20 (1), 51-53.

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Mark

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> I will be writing an article for an upcoming issue of CLASSICAL SINGER
> regarding learning disabilities. I'm reading a book about teaching music to
> special learners, but I'd like some input that's a little more
> singer-specific. So I'm turning to Vocalist for a little help.
>
> If you are a singer who was diagnosed in school (or out) as having a learning
> disorder (dyslexia, ADHD, ADD, etc.), how has this affected your development
> as a musician, either in your studies or your pursuit of a career? (Please
> write to me privately - anonymity guaranteed.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Christine Thomas
> Wauwatosa, WI
> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
> http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>
>
> "I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18122 Re: Learning disabilities & singers -- Upcoming athomas mark montgomery   Tue  3/19/2002
18124 Re: Learning disabilities & singers -- Upcoming aEdgewoodVoiceStudio   Wed  3/20/2002

emusic.com