Vocalist.org archive

From:  Elizabeth Walker <bethwalk@s...>
Date:  Mon Mar 18, 2002  6:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Composition Software for Mac

I'm a Sibelius fan as well. I started out years ago with Musicator,
progressed to Finale, and am now using Sibelius. I do want to respond to
Karen's concerns about students who can't do things the old fashioned
way. I teach in both the traditional and commercial music programs at
our college. For our commercial music majors, using a music program
which can both print readable copies and create midi files is a must.
The rest of the equipment which they are using can't be duplicated with
pencil and paper, and the ability to transfer their compositions to the
recording studio is valuable. That said, all our students learn how to
write music "the old fashioned way" as well as using technology.For
instance, in song writing, they develop their projects on paper and hand
them in (for numerous corrections :o) ) but as they approach the final
stages, they enter them into the computer to produce lead sheets,
instrumental parts and finished printed copies.In addition, being able
to play their compositions (even technically complicated ones, or ones
requiring orchestra or instruments we don't have) helps them hear where
problem spots are, and try out new ideas without bringing in studio
musician for student compostitions.I realize we have a specialized
program, and I have noticed that students who transfer in and don't
know how to write the traditional pencil and paper way often don't have
the theory skills necessary to create good music. I think the software
helps students and musicians who already have training, but is not as
effective in teaching the initial musical concepts. I spent enough time
at the old chalk board in school to see the value of doing
theory/composition by hand in front of the class.

Elizabeth Walker
Labette Community College

emusic.com