Vocalist.org archive

From:  "silvergryphyn" <silvergryphyn@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 15, 2002  8:57 pm
Subject:  Re: Composition Software for Mac

Here's a few thoughts...

If you want to go all out for a program that can do _ANYTHING_, then
shell out the bucks and get Coda Music's Finale. I love this program.
I haven't found anything notation thing that I can't do yet.
Admittedly, figuring out how to do it can be a bit tricky... :) It
also now does importing of TIF files and converting them to music (so
say you scanned some music and then wanted to get it into Finale) and
will transcribe acoustic instrumental playing through a mic. This is
about $600 but there are student prices available (which is how I
originally got it). They also have more stripped down programs for
less money. This is available for Mac and PC (versions & version
names are the same for either platform). This is a program for
serious users though. It would be overkill for most people.

Another really cool Coda Music program is SmartMusic. With this
program you buy accompaniaments and a mic (for voice or instrument)
and it will follow you (among other features). So if you take that
ritard at the end of the line, the music will slow down with you.
Very cool and much fun for those of us who can't play and sing well
at the same time. Also great for working out tricky bits by setting
it to play a loop of the bit you want to work on. This is about $80
including the microphone. But you do have to buy the accompaniaments
as well (new subscription service coming though).

Some people like Encore or Sibelius. Encore (4 years ago) was ok.
Never used Sibelius but I've heard good things. I have more Finale
experience.

I don't like the Opcode products very much. Too simplistic. I think
you would rapidlly bump up against its limitations.

If you have a PC and want a sequencer (vs notation) get Cakewalk.

That's the limit of my personal knowledge but here's a site that
lists all sorts of music software for the Mac (seems to also have PC
products as well one level up).

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/mac/

Sarah

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18075 Re: Composition Software for MacDavid   Fri  3/15/2002
18082 Re: Composition Software for MacKaren Mercedes   Fri  3/15/2002

emusic.com