Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Eckford" <michaelb@i...>
Date:  Fri Mar 15, 2002  9:04 am
Subject:  Patricia O'Callaghan and other cabaret singers

----- Original Message -----
From: <despina@p...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 07, 2002 9:49 AM
Subject: [vocalist] Patricia O'Callaghan

> I've recently discovered Patricia O'Callaghan's recording of cabaret songs
and
> have become a huge fan. I was wondering if anyone knew of other
> classical/cabaret crossover artists who do similar work ...

Hello,

(Michael delurks after too much "real" life...)

I too am a big fan. I especially like her latest "Real Emotional Girl" cd -
if only I could access her wonderful arrangers... - very interesting stuff,
particularly the Stevie Wonder tune, "Creepin'" - just cuz I love da funk...
She has a certain flexibility in her lovely voice, obviously very
knowledgeable about "crossing over" between various pop and classical styles
and the fact that she is a fellow Canuck and, um, "easy on the eyes" is a
bonus...:o)

Check out Julia Migenes' "Smile" cd - movie tunes with great arrangements by
Michael Kamen.

I like Maureen McGovern very much, especially her cds "Another Woman In
Love", "Lucky To Be Me" - with gorgeous piano accompaniment and arrangements
by Mike Renzi and "Naughty Baby" - great Gershwin arrangements... Great
pop/musical theatre style with occasional "classical" coloratura chops -
Among her many PBS specials, I recall her from some years ago doing a
terrific "Glitter and Be Gay"...

Then there is the American soprano, Eileen Farrell (sp.?). She did a killer
version of "Blues In The Night". She was very prominent at the Met I
believe through the 50's and 60's - lots of Wagner roles - I don't know if
she recorded any other non-classical stuff...

I also like Holly Cole 's music - again, very cool arrangements... I have
to say, going a little off-topic, she kind of personally ticked me off a few
years ago, when I read a very strange little rant of hers, something about
that old "dead horse" - "Smokers have rights too" and "campaigns against
smokers are some kind of global right-wing conspiracy " or some such
weirdness and there was a photo of her trying to look sexy while sucking a
butt... gack... Yes, I do find it difficult to watch a lot of old movies
(and for that matter, many new ones...) because of this kind of violence...
I like to think of singing as a certain celebration of the breath... off my
soap-box for now...

I like Susannah McCorkle's work very much. I was saddened to hear that she
had committed suicide some time ago.

Does anybody know of any male classical/crossover singers? aside from
classical singers doing Broadway standard kinds of stuff? Aside from Bobby
McFerrin (possibly my favourite performer in any genre...) doing his
hilarious imitation of "classical" singing on his "Spontaneous Inventions"
concert video... and I always thought Mel
Torme, while most definitely a great jazz singer, had a gorgeous quality
which greatly appeals to my "classical ears".

Cheers.

Michael

Michael Eckford michaelb@i...
Green Eccentric Introvert with Loud Voice, Prime Minister, Interdependent
Sovereign Nation of Michael
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

1. Where are you living?
2. What are you doing?
3. What are your relationships?
4. Are you in right relationship?
5. Where is your water?
6. Know your garden.
7. It is time to speak your truth.
8. Create your community.
9. Be good to each other.
10. Do not look outside yourself for the leader.
--Hopi elder

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18039 Re: Patricia O'Callaghan and other cabaret singerGreypins@a...   Fri  3/15/2002
18040 Re: Patricia O'Callaghan and other cabaret singerDavid   Fri  3/15/2002
18069 Re: Patricia O'Callaghan and other cabaret singerthomas mark montgomery   Fri  3/15/2002
18041 Re: Patricia O'Callaghan and other cabaret singerGreypins@a...   Fri  3/15/2002
18042 Re: Patricia O'Callaghan and other cabaret singerLea Ann Martin   Fri  3/15/2002
18043 Re: Patricia O'Callaghan and other cabaret singerGreypins@a...   Fri  3/15/2002
18051 Renee Fleming singing JazzTrevor Allen   Fri  3/15/2002
18060 Re: Renee Fleming singing Jazzkerubiino   Fri  3/15/2002
18079 Re: Renee Fleming singing JazzJohn Link   Fri  3/15/2002

emusic.com