Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Thu Mar 14, 2002  5:37 pm
Subject:  sharing success!!

Hi Everyone Again,

This email I’m writing with a few tears… I just found out that another
of my students won in her vocal category (soprano) in district solo &
ensemble competition (through the schools) to move on to the State
contest in April. She won last year also, but I thought it might have
been a fluke because there wasn’t much competition and I had taught her
a flashy French aria (which was very bad of me as a teacher, actually)…
so this year I toned things down and taught her a nice Mozart leider and
well, O Mio Babbino.. but it suits her voice so well.. anyway… she won
again this year .. and so now I have 3 students from 2 different school
districts singing at State and I can’t believe it. Even though I have a
lot of students, most of them aren’t interested in the least in studying
classical repertoire so I’ve felt that I’m not really a “legitimate”
teacher. But now I have to stop thinking this way about myself… I must
know something if I have 3 students winning contests in a legitimate
forum… I just really really doubt myself sometimes…

I have to say that I’ve learned a lot that has helped my students from
VOCALIST… I’ve changed they way I approach teaching breath support
because of what I’ve read from Dr. Lloyd and others, for example.

Well, now I have to keep it up because it would be nice if these girls
sang well at State in addition to their local contests. If they would
only not be in sports!!! They are all in track and tennis teams now in
addition to trying to get ready for this state contest AND singing in
their many choirs at school and they are honor students … they are way
way too busy!! Anyway, thanks for listening!

Deanna

---

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
18013 Re: sharing success!!Karen Mercedes   Thu  3/14/2002

emusic.com