Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Wed Mar 13, 2002  5:14 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] fry, modal and falsetto

In a message dated 3/11/2002 5:49:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bandb@n... writes:

> Tricky mike... the mechanism may be the same but in my experience
> the way we use it in singing, is entirely different to that of speaking.
> Would
> that it were not. :) As different as whistling and chewing in my opinion.

'tricky'? when we speak, we use pitch. when we sing, we specify
those pitches and, we specify these pitches for a specific duration.
usually, this means it takes us longer to say the words while we are singing
than while we are talking. additionally, we often have to use a wider range
of pitches when we sing. accommodating these differences is a matter of
degree not a matter of complete change, as in whistling and chewing. in
fact, i would go so far as to say that there is more difference between
consonants and vowels than there is between talking and singing.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17947 Re: fry, modal and falsettoReg Boyle   Wed  3/13/2002
17957 Re: fry, modal and falsettoDavid   Wed  3/13/2002

emusic.com