Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Tue Mar 12, 2002  5:03 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] MED: Vioxx and the voice

The Vioxx is not associated with an increased risk of bleeding. In
young (under 70), healthy (no diabetes or high blood pressure) people it
is quite safe.

OTOH, while on the Medrol (a steroid) be very careful to use good
technique and not to push your voice since you may not realize your
folds are being irritated. The steroids supress inflammation so you
might not feel vocal fatigue or irritation.

Also with weight lifting, avoid grunting, straining and other
vocalizations since the increased pressure against opposed vocal folds
is potentially injurious to them.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com