Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Sun Mar 10, 2002  10:05 pm
Subject:  RE: Teaching question

Thanks for the advice. I'm off to the library
tomorrow!

We've also been struggling a little with his lower
notes. Sometimes he can get a beautiful low G, other
times it's just not there. Is this because his voice
is still changing, or is it a technical issue?

I've selected a couple of songs for him to start with
that have a limited range, but he doesn't have much
choice over his choir repertoire, so somehow we have
to figure out how to help him sing it as comfortably
as possible. And at this point he's neither a tenor
nor a bass, but somewhere in the middle.

On the positive side, his pitch matching has improved
tremendously in the couple of weeks I've been working
with him, and his tone has improved as well, so even
though I'm new to the male voice, I must be doing
something right!

Speaking of doing something right, I'm planning on
putting together a list of examples of singers who
have a good, healthy technique from a variety of
genres (opera, pop, jazz, broadway, etc.) that I can
recommend to my students. I'd love any suggestions for
singers (and specific songs/recordings) that other
Vocalisters think would qualify. Sometimes having good
examples to follow can help, and when a student tells
me that they mostly listen to heavy metal and acid
rock, I'm pretty sure they're not getting lots of good
examples!

Jennifer