Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 10, 2002  8:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Teaching question

In a message dated 3/10/2002 2:40:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dgrogan@e... writes:

> In the middle part of the voice, you use a "mix" of the two, but
> there is not a separate mechanism for the middle register. Also, you can
> sing with varying degrees of "chest" or "head" in this middle range, so to
> try to call this a different register is problematic.

david,

if you accept the notion that 'chest' and 'head' are clearly defined
registers, exclusive to one another, then you have to say that a 'mix',
because it includes both, is neither. that makes the mix a third entity.
whether or not one wishes to call this third entity a register is debatable.
however, if you consider a 'mix' to be where two exclusive registers
overlap, that mix has to be one or the other if, there are only to be two
registers. using the two components to vary the mix throughout the entire
voice (charcoal gray to off white) makes only one register unless there is a
place where the mix is stopped (either low or high. if both, we're back to
three registers).

it is not my intention to be caio-esque about this and i wish to be
the first to admit that the subject of registration completely baffles me.
is it just a matter of what the vocal folds are doing or, does resonance have
an effect on the relative ease with which one sings throughout the entire
range (thinking that the adjustments made for the sake of resonance have a
mechanical effect on the vocal folds)?

one thing is clear to me: it is a lot easier to sing from very low to
very high if you just simply don't care what it sounds like.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17901 Re: Teaching questionDavid   Mon  3/11/2002

emusic.com