Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Sun Mar 10, 2002  7:41 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Re: Teaching question

lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> The male voice posses only two registers, chest and head. Falsetto
> is not usually considered a register in the classical manner of
> singing. All male voices must develop the coordination skill
> necessary to move gradually from chest voice (heavy mechanism) to
> full head voice (light mechanism). Many male voices find it easier
> to be in either chest OR head but have great difficulty in the
> meeting place of these to vocal configurations which is usually
> called the passaggio.

That passagio is a register though. It is the middle or mix where TA and CT
involvement and a mixed resonance scheme are involved. So there are 3
registers in the male voice (at least).

Randy Buescher

Randy,

I could see your point if I only considered the timbre aspects of
registration. In that case, there could be a register for every note, in a
sense. However, since there are mechanical considerations as well, I agree
more with Lloyd's stance that there are two (classically legitimate)
registers. In the middle part of the voice, you use a "mix" of the two, but
there is not a separate mechanism for the middle register. Also, you can
sing with varying degrees of "chest" or "head" in this middle range, so to
try to call this a different register is problematic.

Just my two cents,
David Grogan
Marshall, Texas

emusic.com