Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Steven Mello" <spmello@a...>
Date:  Sun Mar 10, 2002  1:05 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] finding the right teacher

Matthew wrote:

>It doesn't matter what I say or do, I just can't seem to make my
>singing teacher understand that picturing this and picturing that
>DON'T HELP ME. I just want to do technical, physical things in
>order to get it to work rather than having to imagine this or that,

Hang in there, Matthew. It took me three years to find a teacher who would
speak in a language I felt comfortable with. I'm with you - images of purple
clouds and butterfly wings were of little use to me in building a technique,
nor were excruciatingly detailed explanations of the varied functions of
muscles, tendons, and assorted other anatomical structures at various points
in the vocal scale. When I finally found someone who addressed singing
technique, I spent three years of continuous progress with him. When I felt
it was time for someone who could offer me more, it took another full year
of auditioning teachers to find my current. (Six blissful months and
counting.)

Don't compromise yourself in this. You owe it to yourself and your success
to find and work with someone who can train you the way you need. The
imagery experts and anatomy-focused are NOT wrong or bad, they're just not
right for you.

Best of luck.
-Steven.

emusic.com