Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omi@u...>
Date:  Sat Mar 9, 2002  5:05 pm
Subject:  finding the right teacher

Matthew wrote:

>It doesn't matter what I say or do, I just can't seem to make my
>singing teacher understand that picturing this and picturing that
>DON'T HELP ME. I just want to do technical, physical things in
>order to get it to work rather than having to imagine this or that,
>because my mind just doesn't translate whatever pictures may be in
>my head into anything related to singing, and my inability to do
>that only piles problems on where I certainly don't need any more!

As you are discovering the hard way, not every approach works for every
student. It's clear that you need someone who will work in a very
specific, physical way with you. I believe that is the way that Richard
Miller teaches, and if I were you, I might call him (he's on the faculty at
Oberlin) and ask him if he has any former students who are now teaching in
New York. I am convinced that you will be able to find a teacher whose
approach is compatible with your learning style, so please don't give up.
You'll probably need to make lots of calls and weed people out according to
how they answer some pointed questions about approach.

Best of luck!
Naomi

AUTOMATIC ENDNOTE: If you haven't already done so, please update your
address book to reflect my new email address: omi@u.... Thank you
very much!

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17881 Re: finding the right teacherSteven Mello   Sun  3/10/2002

emusic.com