Vocalist.org archive

From:  "ccgraham7" <ccgraham7@y...>
Date:  Fri Mar 8, 2002  10:32 pm
Subject:  Re: 2 ?'s from a new list member

Dear list,

I'm just still not quite sure that I am understanding everything that
has been said about passagio points. First of all, let me explain a
little bit about some things that I have noticed in my own voice.
There seems to be an area in my middle voice from about A4 to C5
(perhaps that should be shifted down a semitone)where I feel somewhat
unstable. For instance, if I have to sustain say, a B4, I'll feel
kind of stuck, like I don't know how to get it out right. If I use
what I'm assuming is a lot of "head voice," it will feel weak or like
it's not carrying; but it feels like if I try to put more strength
into it(maybe "chest voice"?), my voice might crack or something.
Now, I think some of the exercises that my teacher has given me might
eventually help me to balance things out in this area. However,
could this phenomenon have anything to do with registration, and
would this zone be considered my "lift"? Just above this zone, like
at D5, my voice feels stronger, ringier, and more sustainable. Is
any of this normal in an inexperienced singer, and if so would it
suggest a soprano or mezzo-soprano voice?

Thanks,
C. Graham
Beginning voice student in the Southwest USA

P.S. As I mentioned before I am college-aged, but I just started
taking voice lessons for the first time. Also, its very difficult to
put into words what I am feeling and hearing in my voice, so the
above may not be completely accurate (My voice seems different on
different days too). I hope that I have not bored anyone with my
rambling.

emusic.com