Vocalist.org archive

From:  "westernactor" <matthewmurray@m...>
Date:  Fri Mar 8, 2002  12:53 pm
Subject:  Unlearning damage before you've learned anything?

Here's my problem. I started singing lessons my freshman year in
college in 1994, and have been studying on and off ever since then,
but I've never really seemed to get anywhere.
For various reasons, I've switched teachers a number of times, and
had four or five teachers with whom I spent a significant amount of
time (six months or more) and a whole bunch of minor ones in
between. But almost eight years after starting, my voice is either
in the same shape it was then or--as I actually suspect--worse
shape. I'm not any closer to really understanding how to DO the
basics required to sing correctly, even though I've heard from 10-15
different perspectives how they're SUPPOSED to be done.
So, it's getting impossible for me to not feel that the problem
isn't the teachers I'm working with, but rather myself. That's a
problem I have no clue how to fix, and it's not something anyone can
really help me with. I still very much want to learn how to sing,
but I have no idea how to go about it anymore. Is there any way to
actually move forward from where I am, or am I just sort of trapped
here? I feel like, if I could have stayed with one teacher all (or
at least a significant portion) of this time, maybe things would be
better, but maybe not.
If anyone has any idea how I might be able to conquer this
particular problem, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

--Matthew

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17845 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythpeggyh@i...   Fri  3/8/2002
17846 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythGreypins@a...   Fri  3/8/2002
17847 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythbuzzcen@a...   Fri  3/8/2002
17853 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anyththomas mark montgomery   Fri  3/8/2002
17861 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythwesternactor   Fri  3/8/2002
17865 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythImthurn Melinda   Fri  3/8/2002
17869 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythwesternactor   Sat  3/9/2002
17873 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythSharon Szymanski   Sat  3/9/2002
17866 Re: Unlearning damage before you've learned anythReg Boyle   Sat  3/9/2002

emusic.com