Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Susan Schneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  6:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Ladies' Recital Attire

Hi, List,

Assembling performance dress for women is like working a jigsaw puzzle. If
you don't have all the right pieces, it can be impossible to make it work.
I have codified several criteria for recital/concert wear for various
occasions:
1. Evening standard repertoire (uptown NYC, outside NYC) Dressy, long,
sequins or other diva accoutrements.
2. Evening new music (uptown NYC) Dressy, possibly long, NO sequins or
reinstones unless subtle or funky in design. Simple black is good.
Interesting jewelry is good, too.
3. Evening new music (downtown NYC) Dressy, but go for unusual. Think
artsy - ethnic jackets, colors, or simple black. Interesting/artsy jewelry.
4. Afternoon standard rep. (NYC or outside) Depending on venue, long or
street length, though I prefer long. Simpler than evening.
5. Afternoon new music (downtown NYC) Same as above, but less dressy. Cool
accessories or ethnic/colorful dress.
6. Afternoon new music (uptown NYC or outside NYC) Same as #4, but somewhat
more dressy than #5.
7. Church/temple choral Simple, or whatever dress code for group
8. Church/temple solo Simple, but use some subtle divasign. More modest
than non-church performances.

The difference between new music dress and standard rep dress is that while
singing new music, especially downtown, you'd be laughed off the stage if
you are wearing typical diva stuff- sequins, reinstones, etc. Funky but
still dressy is key here. Of course, one must have each category for each
season, and in enough sizes to fit at any given time. (Sometimes I think I
work a day job just to pay for my performing wardrobe.) I also have a
variety of jackets and scarves to put over any season's sleeveless dress for
church/temple appearances or to make a spring/fall dress more appropriate
for winter. I haven't even mentioned SHOES . . .

Susan May Schneider
smschneider@e...

emusic.com