Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Thu Mar 7, 2002  3:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Licensing board for teachers (was: RE: can we discuss lesson prices?)

> That's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how you
> would measure the
> quality of a teacher in front of licensing board.
> But
> how do you license mastery of an art?
>
> Ingo

I don't think you can license the mastery of an art,
but you can license based on the fact that the teacher
has a specified amount of knowledge of the SCIENCE
related to singing. That doesn't mean he or she is or
is not a "good" teacher, but at least it sets some
sort of standard. Any other standard would be
subjective.

Similarly, MDs are not licensed on all aspects of
being a good doctor (bedside manner, business sense,
etc.), but at least we know they have all attended
medical school!

17832 Re: Licensing board for teachersReg Boyle   Thu  3/7/2002

emusic.com