Vocalist.org archive

From:  Richard Barrett <richardtenor@e...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  5:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Following a Teacher

My general two cents on this: *not* following the teacher that is right for
you assumes that All (or at least Most) Voice Teachers Are Created Equal,
which frankly isn't the case. Most teachers in a college setting may know
generally well enough what they're doing, but that doesn't mean that they're
going to be able to communicate effectively what they know *to you*. Plus,
the teacher, not the school, is what will ultimately help you. Music theory
is music theory; music history is music history, but it's hard enough to
find the right teacher - if you're happy with your teacher, do whatever you
have to do to stay with that teacher - if it's feasible for you to do so.

For my part, I had the right teacher *until* I went to college, where I
wasted two and a half years with teachers who couldn't help me. I'm back
with him now, but this is a lesson that isn't fun to learn the hard way.

So, think of the teacher as the horse, the school as the cart. That's what
I've found.

- Richard