Vocalist.org archive

From:  Imthurn Melinda <mimthurn@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 4, 2002  4:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

> However--you might want to think about raising your
> prices slowly. People
> tend to become extremely upset when the price goes
> up, even if they KNOW it
> is warranted. Doing it gradually might keep you
> from losing
> students...........

From my experience, when I got my MA, I raised my rate
by $10 per hour. For all new students, I simply
quoted them that rate. For continuing students, I
raised by $5 first, then $5 again a few months later.
This worked well - paying an extra $20 a month and
then another $20 a month a few months later allowed my
students to adjust their budgets. No one even
questioned the raise and I lost no students.

For some of the more expensive teachers I have known
or studied with, twice-a-month lessons were offered.
Although it goes without saying that less is
accomplished, it gives the students an introduction
they can afford before committing to a daunting sum of
money. Inevitably, when they witness progress, they
will find the money to take weekly.

I have found this to be true in my own studio as well,
although I do not charge as much as the teachers I am
referencing, who all teach at the same University and
have agreed to all price lessons at the same rate -
way above what the market here is. (Basically, this
means they gouge their university students in between
semesters!)

http://sports.yahoo.com

emusic.com