Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Mon Mar 4, 2002  2:42 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

Must be the season for returns. :)

Unfortunately so much depends on the teacher's self assessment
of their worth and sometimes an inflated (or deflated) ego affects
the final price. :) There are a lot on inflated egos in this business
don't cha think?

Unfortunately many of the fees are set by organizations
rather than the market forces and inexperienced students more
often become victims of charlatans than gain an unfair advantage
from a highly proficient teacher.

Not too sure that we can compare Aussie and Brazilian prices
with those in the States but I'm prepared to try.

Our Aussie dollar only buys 51 US cents. So that, two of ours
for one of yours criteria, appears to make things purchased in Oz
using US dollars, very inexpensive for Americans.
However many of the comparisons I have made
show that common commodities here are about TWICE the price
of those in the US. Which brings me to the point.

If the artificially set fees, (that is, fees not set by market forces),
are approximately a carton of beer per half hour, how can some
presume to demand 5 to ten cartons without producing a
commensurate return in the student. Do you have a prices
surveillance branch. We do.

Standard teaching fees here for Grade 5 downward
are $25 Aus for 30 mins.

Grade 6 up are $27.50 Aus per 30 mins.

So you can convert them to US dollars by halving our dollar price.
Therefore in US dollars a Grade 5 student would pay as the standard
fee, $25 US an HOUR. I think that's a reasonable price.

Now I've had fair amount of contact with teachers of various calibre's
and I have the feeling that poor teachers jump on the bandwagon with
the good ones and by the time the student realises his mistake he's
already parted with his dough. Not just with singing teachers either.

Here it is usually allowable to pay weekly or in arrears without alteration.

emusic.com