Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 3, 2002  5:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

In a message dated 3/3/02 10:19:33 AM, LeaAnn@k... writes:

<< So now some of you can see fees vary wildly all over the country. >>

This is no surprise at all. Fees often can--and do-- vary wildly in any
area--and why shouldn't they? I can walk a few blocks in NY and find teachers
who range from $40 to $125 or more for an hour lesson. Closer to my home, but
not far from NY, teachers that I know charge from $25 up.

People have different income objectives, different "types" of students--from
successful professionals to people who know that they have serious potential
to gifted amateurs and so on--different resources, different services,
different sorts of contacts and growth opportunities to offer, and differing
assessments of their own value.

Although you seem to place a premium on a degree, that has never been very
important to me. My former teacher had a BA but was very likely the most
perceptive, imaginative and stimulating teacher I'll ever meet. My current
teacher was a Fullbright scholar and is also wonderful, more organized and
technically-based than the latter but not the former's match in ability to
inspire. Thankfully, that's not what I really need now.

I personally am willing to pay more for a teacher with 1. a highly skilled
and kowledgeable coach/accompanist in the studio 2. experience performing the
specific repertoire that I want to perform, in major venues with major
conductors 3. knowledge of a wide range of styles and languages 4. an
insider's understanding of what it takes to get ahead in this business 5. a
flexible teaching approach--ability to tackle a problem from many different
directions 6. willingness to be realistic about a student's strengths and
weaknesses and 7. integrity and a personal commitment to the student.

I never would have dreamed that I would pay as much for lessons as I now do.
But I did it, it hasn't been too painful, it's been well worth every penny!

Judy

emusic.com