Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Mar 2, 2002  4:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

In a message dated 03/02/2002 8:44:41 AM Central Standard Time, szy@n...
writes:

<< One other thought. I am considering raising my rates yet again in the
Fall, but I think I will do it the following way: Continuing students
will have one more year at their current rates, while new students will
be charged a higher rate to begin lessons with me, and will have to
audition to be accepted into my studio. >>

That's a good idea.... I'm planning to raise my rate, and I was thinking
about doing that, but I think I'm raising it by such a small increment that I
might as well go all the way. I was charging $180/10 half-hour lessons or
$95/5 (giving people who made a larger commitment a bit of a break) and
$180/5 one-hour lessons and $135 for five 45-minute lessons. I've decided
the break is over.... more and more people are paying for 5 at a time anyway,
so I'm just going to go ahead and raise my rate to $40/hour, payment made for
5 at a time. I'm still on the low end, but Milwaukee is somewhat cheap.
Also, I'm going to be discontinuing the studio I have outside my home, so it
means I won't be dealing with travel and schlepping on Thursdays. So I'll
still come out ahead.

Good luck - and Lea Ann, you ARE lucky to paying so little. I was paying
$45/hour to the top teacher here 16 years ago (and she played piano even
worse than I do now!). BTW, only one person is charging more than that now
in this area -- the teachers who are affiliated with universities or who work
ONLY with professionals charge no more than $45.

Christine Thomas
Wauwatosa, WI
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html">
http://hometown.aol.com/mezzoid/myhomepage/profile.html</A>

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com