Vocalist.org archive

From:  "kandahar" <kandahar@i...>
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  4:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

re: accompanists

He is
> worth EVERY penny I pay him. No matter what the problem he has an uncanny
> way of making it sound as though that is how it should have been written.
> consider myself very lucky to have him.

Oh yes! I have someone who can make up music for bars while waiting for
someone to come in, then meld it smoothly into the singer's line. I always
take my own accompanist to an audition, if I can. Even if we're talking
about straightforward repertoire, I want the opportunity to go over it
beforehand, so there's no surprises for either of us....

As to the "accompanist" who missed a system of music in Habanera and didn't
pick up on it....
That was no accompanist. I've had the misfortune of having to deal with
skilled "pianists" who put their head down, start playing, and when we get
to the end say, "hmmm.....we didn't end together." That's my definition of
"pianist" vs. "accompanist". I much prefer to have someone who plays the
occasional wrong note, but who listens and is sensitive to the singer.

Alleson Aering
kandahar@i...

emusic.com