Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lea Ann Martin" <LeaAnn@k...>
Date:  Sat Mar 2, 2002  1:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] can we discuss lesson prices?

That strikes me as really cheap. I think you should aim to keep the same
amount of students while charging at least twice as much.

Randy Buescher

In my area the average is about 19 dollars an hour. It depends on your
area....I would call around and find out what others are charging before I
decided to jack my prices up beyond the reach of my students. My last teacher
charged 19 dollars for a half hour...and she had a BA in music...she wasn't
worth it I can tell you....the head of the music dept here, a woman with a PhD
charges 19 for a full hour....a much more sane rate. My current teacher who is
FABULOUS charges 15 for a full hour. In my opinion it depends on your area. I
live in Eastern Kansas.....charging 40 dollars an hour here would be ridiculous.
No one would take lessons from someone charging that much....I think it would
be important to find out the credentials and the rates of others in your area
before deciding to double your rate....doing so without checking around might
find you with no students.

Lea Ann

emusic.com