Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Sat Mar 2, 2002  4:13 am
Subject:  can we discuss lesson prices?

Hi Everyone…

I’m being sent to a workshop by the church I music direct for, that
deals with “energy leaking” and money issues and how it all relates to
goals and working with people, and so on. Part of the prep homework I
have to do before going to the workshop is to face the reality that I
might not be charging enough for my services. But, maybe I am… ??

Maybe my fee is fine, maybe I’m grossly undercharging …I’d like to go
into the workshop with a little survey of other teachers with a similar
education/performance/experience background as mine to either support my
feeling that my price is right considering the community and the
clientele, or maybe I should ask for a higher fee and have fewer
students.

This is my question. Is $25 per hour (for monthly prepaid lessons…..
$12.5 per lesson for 30 minutes) okay for a teacher with 20 years
lesson teaching (10 years full time).. a bachelors degree in music
education and amateur musictheatre & classical performing experience,
amateur jazz singing experience and 17 paid years as a contemporary
music church soloist, choir director?? I want to mention that most of
my students are not professionals nor aspire to a singing profession..
the closest I get are a few rock band singers who come for a few lessons
and high school students getting ready for college auditions. I’m also
in a semi-rural area, though… with in 30 miles of Seattle and 15 miles
to Tacoma, which are the larger cities in Western Washington.

What do you folks charge who are in a somewhat similar situation?

Thanks so much for any future feedback!

Deanna in Edgewood

---

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17726 Re: can we discuss lesson prices?Vicki Bryant   Sat  3/2/2002

emusic.com