Vocalist.org archive

From:  l.s.mountford@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 1, 2002  9:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Miracle cure - I need my voice!

Let me know when you find out, OK? I'm in week 6 of
mine, and it doesn't seem to be getting much better.
I've tried everything I can think of, including *silence*
for 4 days (which actually did help a little). My voice
now has "holes" in it: places where there just isn't
anything at all, or what's there is raspy, growly,
hoarse. I've tried very *gently* exercising it, just to
check the extent of what's going on. My high notes are
still in place, but volume control is gone (I "honk"),
and I've lost some of my middle register. I keep getting
"gunk" on the folds, and even though I know you're not
supposed to clear your throat, I find myself almost
involuntarily doing it (*GENTLY*) just to dislodge this
stuff.

This is definitely a virus that's going around, since
many of my co-workers have had it or have it now (thanks
a lot for sharing, guys!). I'm scheduled to solo with my
church choir a week from Sunday on a rousing arrangement
of "Building on a Rock," with a high-C at the end, and
I've got a ton of Holy Week stuff to get through at the
end of March, plus a community chorus concert on March
24, and rehearsals for all the above.

If anyone has any tried-and-true fixes for this, or if
any of our wonderful resident doctor-folk can shed some
light on this, I'd love to hear/read all about it.

Thanks!!

Lana Mountford
Kenmore, WA

emusic.com