Vocalist.org archive

From:  "dansing_1" <dansing_1@y...>
Date:  Mon Feb 25, 2002  10:51 pm
Subject:  Re: Emotional hiccups

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Debra Johnson <debbiejo53142@y...>
wrote:
> I am having problems breaking down and crying during a
> couple of lines of Edvard Grieg's "Vaaren" ("Spring")
> which I find particularly beautiful and affecting -- I
> know why I break down; ....
>
> If anyone has been in a similar situation before and
> has any tips to share, I would love to read them.

Debra,

Here is something that I wrote a while back - perhaps, it will prove
helpful:

The Healing Power of Voice

Just after a traumatic relationship breakup, I began to sing a
favorite song from my "growing up" years. As I got a few measures into
"The Sound of Music," I had to stop singing - because I was crying. I
cried and I cried, then I restarted the song. Again, I had to stop
singing. I wept, uncontrollably, for what seemed like an eternity.
Then again, I restarted the song. I kept doing this over and over
until I made it through the entire song without crying.

This, certainly, was not planned; and proved to be very healing for
me. Perhaps, this is how to process emotions for myself.... how to
heal wounds, etc. Perhaps, when an emotion gets "a hold on me," I
should SING (especially before I express it in a negative way to
anyone)!

I "suspect" that each and every one of us has some form of healing /
therapy like this that works for us individually. How about you?

emusic.com