Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri May 19, 2000  2:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Audition experience

In a message dated 05/18/2000 9:33:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mezzoid@a... writes:

<< << Oh God. This happens to me all the time with "Glitter and be Gay."
Once
even had an accompanist STOP PLAYING! I just kept going like he was still
playing. I think the auditioners were impressed by my professionalism and
coolness in a situation that could have casued a singer meltdown. >>

I have made it a practice to bring only stuff I myself (a crappy pianist)
can
fake my way through. Unless I KNOW the pianist, in which case I make a
judgment. Or if I have my heart set on something, I beg my boyfriend to
come
to the audition and play for me.... >>

Chris' solution really is about the best when you're working with an
unknown pianist. Having sat on the other side of the audition process, I
also have to say that if the pianist isn't great for one singer, he's
probably not great for all the others, too. I've sat through auditions where
our first-string pianists weren't available, and we had to use a
less-talented pianist, and the people hearing the audition tend to factor
that in. And someone who can keep going through something like "Glitter and
Be Gay" when the accompanists poops out is definitely impressive.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com