Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Fri Feb 22, 2002  4:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing on the breath...

Sandra,

My first thought is that it doesn't mean much at all. Phonation requires
breath, so the idea of singing "off" the breath doesn't give us a real
comparison of what we might do otherwise. That thought aside, I would say
that "singing on the breath" means a balance of the forces of breath
(exhalation) and the forces of the adduction (closing) muscles of the
larynx. It means enough subglottic pressure to get the feeling of appoggio,
but not so much that you get a "pushed" sound.

My two cents,
David Grogan
East Texas Baptist University
Marshall, Texas

Subject: [vocalist] Singing on the breath...

> what does this term mean to ya'll?
>
> thanks,
> Sandra

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
17650 Re: Singing on the breath...Sharon Szymanski   Sat  2/23/2002

emusic.com