Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Wed Feb 20, 2002  7:32 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] OFF: music without words/Hebrew word

Deanna Reitan wrote:

>A nigun, as far as I know from my Jewishfriends, isn’t just about being
>a song with nonsense syllables.. but it is a form of prayer.

How would we recognize a song as a prayer if it has no words? By the
fact that it is sung in a house of worship? By the musical style
alone?

My fiancee says that most of my compositions sound pretty churchy,
and other people have said that they sound like they belong in a
temple. To some of my compositions I've given titles like "Hymn in G"
or "Hymn in D Minor" becasue they sounds like hymns. Maybe some day
I'll make a CD called "Niggunim".

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my request for information.

John Link

http:/www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)