Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Denis J. Lanza" <voxman@s...>
Date:  Tue Feb 19, 2002  10:23 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] singing lessons

Hey Neils:
Being a hard rock/metal singer, myself, I feel uniquely qualified to at
least begin to address some of your questions. First of all, vocal training
does NOT have to "make" you sound any one particular way. The best vocal
methods will teach you HOW to sing and not what to sing. The method in which
I study and teach is the Speech Level Singing Technique as developed by
famed Hollywood vocal coach Seth Riggs. It is a method based on bel canto.
So you can train your voice to become a better singer and not hurt or damage
your voice and still maintain your own personal style and sound.
In terms of Kurt Cobain, I have never heard of him having any vocal
training and I think if you listen to him that is evident. The dude form
Live I am not sure about. Singing with grit and rasp is a delicate matter
indeed. It is something that I still struggle with to this day. Sometimes I
get it where it feels fine, other times it stresses my throat and hurts.
That is when I am pushing too hard I believe. What makes it sound that way
is the result of overdriving the vocal cords. Mark Baxter has some excellent
articles on this subject and I think his most recent article deals exactly
with overdriving the voice and creating a raspy, gritty sound. The URL for
his website is http://www.voicelesson.com HTH LataH! :=)

Yours In Music,
Denis J. Lanza
Lead Vocalist - Infinity Minus One
New CD - "Tales From the Mobius Strip" - Coming Soon
http://www.infinityminusone.com
http://www.denisjlanza.com