Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omi@u...>
Date:  Sun Feb 17, 2002  5:40 pm
Subject:  re: graduate and doctoral programs

Morgan wrote:

>Here ,at SFA, we are all taught to
>sing with the Heavy Mechanism. And I would like to
>continue under that style when I go to a graduate
>program. But that type of information is not in School
>mailings. And I do not have the money or TIME to visit
>and talk to the 20 or so schools I am currently
>considering. I am just looking for guidance. Does
>anyone have any advise or suggestions? Am I going
>about this all wrong?

Your voice teacher can help you here by giving recommendations as to whom
you might want to study with at the schools you are considering. You can
also ask this kind of advice ("I'm considering Such-and-Such University.
Here is a list of the voice facutly; are you acquainted with any of these
people?") of anyone you have worked with recently whose opinion you trust
-- conductors, coaches, etc.

Also, since you know the kind of technical approach you are interested in
pursuing, you can contact the teachers at the schools you are considering
directly, by email or telephone, to ask them what their approach is.
Expect their replies to take a while because they are very busy -- if you
don't hear back within two weeks or so, try again but with a very polite,
understanding approach. Also if ask them to call you back, tell them it's
ok to call collect.

You can narrow down your choices by doing the detective work before you go
visit schools.

AUTOMATIC ENDNOTE: If you haven't already done so, please update your
address book to reflect my new email address: omi@u.... Thank you
very much!

emusic.com