Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer Sherley <voiceslp@y...>
Date:  Sun Feb 17, 2002  4:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] 20th Century Songs

Hello,
I know this reply is much delayed following your
original posting from last Tuesday! (I am just
catching up with vocalist after a busy week.) "Sure
on This Shining Night" is deceptively difficult, yes,
but once in your voice, a treat to sing. I encourage
you to keep at it. I don't mean the following
suggestion to sound philistine or imply that singers
can't learn music by reading the score, but have you
tried listening to a recording of the song
obsessively? Perhaps rote learning may help. Once
you don't have to worry about getting the rhythm or
notes right and you know how the voice and piano part
combine, you're free to shape your phrases and make it
musical

In college, one of my roommates was preparing Mahler's
SONGS OF A WAYFARER and almost every time she came
home, she'd walk to the stereo and start the recording
(an LP borrowed from her teacher). I shall certainly
never forget the opening theme in the wind section of
that piece having heard it approximately one million
times during that semester. :)

By the way, there's a very nice recording available of
SURE ON THIS... sung by Cheryl Studer. It's part of a
2-disc complete set of Barber songs so it's going to
be about $25. However, any library with a decent
classical selection will probably have it.

-Jen S.

http://sports.yahoo.com

emusic.com